HARTFORD, Conn.— As a result of Monday’s storm which delivered heavy rain and high winds, the Connecticut Department of Public Health is reminding residents about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from the improper use of fuel burning equipment during power outages. Due to the current number of power outages caused by this storm, Connecticut residents are being reminded that portable generators and the indoor use of grills can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning.

“The tragic reality is that most of these carbon monoxide poisonings and deaths are completely preventable,” said DPH Commissioner Manisha Juthani, MD. “It is very important to learn how carbon monoxide gas can harm you and what you can do to keep your loved ones safe from carbon monoxide poisoning, especially if you lose power during a storm.”

Click on the image below to view the full press release in a PDF.